Parts is parts

General Discussion area for any topic
hogheadkills

Re: Parts is parts

Postby hogheadkills » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:16 pm

My stepson works on it when he gets off work and on his day off, I don't have a say in it. But he said it should be done soon, i just need to get a good surge protector and an OS and maybe good headphones and mic. I know you all can stand not hearing my deep sexy voice. :laughinghard: :tease:

WilBury

Postby WilBury » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 pm

If you have a Windows 7 or 8.1 product key kicking around you can still get Win10 for free.
I did something like this for 3 machines, works great. This guy knows what he's doing, keeps it all up to date & answers questions.
You may have to join the Microsoft Insider's Program in order to download the correct .iso file.
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a5mumvlJKI&index=2&list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr
https://www.youtube.com/user/philipyip1988/playlists
:pewpew:
"I've forgotten more than I'll ever know..." - WilBury

hogheadkills

Postby hogheadkills » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:56 am

I had windows 10 on my last computer, I didn't like it and removed it. I'm using it on a lap top for union stuff and am getting used to it, I will see what he comes up with he knows where to get free stuff.

WilBury

Postby WilBury » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:05 pm

I totally hate Win10 myself but it's the best game in town unless you go open-source. :scared: If you can get an academic version you can at least configure some of the worst shit. :pilot:

Count

Postby Count » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:39 pm

I also converted all the windoze 10 laptops in the house back to 7. I am really gonna hate when they stop support for win7

hogheadkills

Postby hogheadkills » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:50 pm

:beg: A slight set back with the new computer, it may be a power supply issue, or something else. He worked on it for 5 hours yesterday, I even had Reaper call him, it seems the computer dosen't want to stay on when booting up it just turns it self off. :scared:

Gr0uNDh0g

Postby Gr0uNDh0g » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:28 pm

I have no problems with Win 10 myself.

hogheadkills (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON'))):beg: A slight set back with the new computer, it may be a power supply issue, or something else. He worked on it for 5 hours yesterday, I even had Reaper call him, it seems the computer dosen't want to stay on when booting up it just turns it self off. :scared:

So I've heard. What a mess :( Might be a long shot but worth a try. Can you send me the exact brand and type of motherboard and the exact brand and type of RAM. I'll do a compatibility check. Sometimes things fit and should work but still they don't play nice. I can look that up.

Also, and I bet you have already tried this but still. Pull out all RAM banks except for one. Reboot and see if it stays on. If not, pull it out and replace it by another. Repeat this until you have tried each RAM bank separately.

And uhmmmm.... Did you put in a CMOS battery?? Usually a CR2032 :cheesin: Without it, this exact same thing is one of the many things that could happen.
Punxsutawney Phil is coming for you! :pewpew:
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

WilBury

Postby WilBury » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Can they not even enter the bios? Won't even POST? If not, some basic core hardware's definitely screwy. Groundhog could be right about the battery or memory. Two or more power plugs to the motherboard, right? Could the CPU cooler fan do that if plugged into the wrong port?
It'll never install Win7 without loading the proper drivers. :unsure:

hogheadkills

Postby hogheadkills » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks for all the advice, it's working now. Apparently the CPU he had me get was a Generation 7 and the motherboard would not work with it. After 5 hours of messing with it on sunday, he did some reading somewhere. He found out he needed am 8th generation of the i7 CPU, he bought it and installed it and it's working.
3130.jpeg
3130.jpeg (802.54 KiB) Viewed 11041 times
Attachments
3164.jpeg
3164.jpeg (866.96 KiB) Viewed 11039 times

Gr0uNDh0g

Postby Gr0uNDh0g » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Yessss!! Woohoo!! :yahoo: :wave: :drinks:
Looks like a winner :gamer:
Punxsutawney Phil is coming for you! :pewpew:
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Return to “General Discussion”