PANDEMIC PREPPING LIST

General Discussion area for any topic
MadRocker

Re: PANDEMIC PREPPING LIST

Postby MadRocker » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Gr0uNDh0g (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))
MadRocker (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))
Kamikazi (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))First rule about prepping:

1. Don't tell anyone you are stocking up of things.
2. If you do tell someone, you have to kill them. lol
3. To avoid rule 2, adhere to rule 1.

You are correct with this. The key to prepping is nobody knows your prepping.

Hey Mad, you added "SDR for PC/Linux/Android for comms" to the list. Are you familiar with this? Would like to know more.

I have 3 SDR dongles at current

2 of these https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL ... 168&sr=8-3

and 1 of these https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR-SM ... 168&sr=8-6

On windows my software of preference is SDR#, I can tune into fequencies within the dongles frequency range of 500kHz -1.7 GHz VHF/UHF. broadcast radio, Ham radio, some Law enforcement that still use the bands, NOAA radio stations. I use dump 1090 and virtual radar to track aircraft positions. WxtoImg with a virtual cable to download NOAA/GOES images.

On my old potato Acer 7720 laptop that had Vista on it I use SDR Trunk running Ubuntu 18.04 (?). I maxed memory to 4gb and stuck a 125gb SSD for about $60. It decodes non-encrypted APCO digital phase I & II law enforcement. It requires some java compiling that wasnt too bad for me, and I personally loathe java.

For android I use SDR touch out of the Play store with an OTG/power combo cable. Its not as featured as PC/Linux software but you can save frequencies and listen in the 500kHz-1.7GHz range.

The NESDR has an always on bias-tee to power a Low Noise Amplifier that I use with a broadscast FM block. Thats the one I use for satellites. The RTL-SDR dongles have a bias Tee that have to be turned on manually with a batch file, though SDR# may have an option in the settings now. Im still running the older version with a scan plugin to listen to 3 LEO and 2 Fire/Rescue channels in the 500 MHz range that are within the 2.4 MHz bandwidth though I can set it up different. Im also lookimg to setup OP25 on a Pi if I can get it to work on the linux box for the phase I/II digital stuff. The windows route is the easiest and SDR-Trunk does work on it but still requires a lil java compiling.Any more questions let me know and Ill leave specific links to whatever platform you wanna try with.

Edit.. I use the Radio Reference site and app to find the frequencies of local ham repeaters and Law enforcement. Im not sure what they have across the pond but will look into it.

Edit 2.. Sites that list frequencies across the pond. Im not sure if APCO Phase 1 & 2 police digital radio is used. Its mostly in the 750 and 850 Mhz here in my state.
https://ukrepeater.net/
https://przemienniki.net/
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

MadRocker

Postby MadRocker » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Forgot to mention the radios I use. They would be 2 cheap UV5R Baofeng handheld radios.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009M ... UTF8&psc=1
With fairly cheap aftermarket whip antenna's to improve reception of far away repeaters.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009M ... UTF8&psc=1
CHIRP software (free) was used to program the radios with this cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HU ... UTF8&psc=1
1 radio is set to 2 meter and the other is set to 70 cm. Since I'm still unlicensed I don't transmit, but both radios are set up for simplex (radio to radio) if needed. After I get around to taking the test I'll play with the low frequencies. I've had these radios a while so some of the things may be hard to find. I enjoy them just because I'm a radio nerd and have been waiting for the zombie apocalypse to fucking get here. Very disappointed I be.
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Gr0uNDh0g

Postby Gr0uNDh0g » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks for the info. Gonna check out those links! :good:
Punxsutawney Phil is coming for you! :pewpew:
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

micsas56

Postby micsas56 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 pm

If I understand these posts correctly (which I doubt). Has the 3rd world war just started? Am pretty impressed on the info to survive in this forum. It's just a virus like there have been others like the Spanish flu, it's like a cycle. You just have to be careful not to have it and since the technology has advanced a lot, the risks should be reduced.
"ON THE PATH OF RIGHTEOUSNESS..." "LIFE" WILL BE TAKEN
Games = BF1, BF4, COD-BO2, COD-BO, COD-WaW, COD4

MadRocker

Postby MadRocker » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:32 pm

micsas56 (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))If I understand these posts correctly (which I doubt). Has the 3rd world war just started? Am pretty impressed on the info to survive in this forum. It's just a virus like there have been others like the Spanish flu, it's like a cycle. You just have to be careful not to have it and since the technology has advanced a lot, the risks should be reduced.

I've been a prepper since before Y2K, even the boy scouts motto is be prepared. Their is a fine line between vigilance and stupidity that some like to walk on though, but common sense is a major factor. All kinds of groups and government agencies have had plans ranging from 3 days to 3 months on things you should always have in stock in case of earthquakes and hurricanes. I think the church of latter day saints even had a 1 year list. I've always been the 3 month minimum prepper as far as food and water goes. The extras like ammo and comms are really based on hobbies, though handy in a SHTF situation like a zombie apocalypse. They've always been something I enjoyed to do, so its not uncommon for me to have on hand. The arrogance of "it can't happen to us" is what has led up to a lot of the panic buying we see today. A little preparation before this pandemic would have made a lot of difference in the craziness we see today.

micsas56

Postby micsas56 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:34 pm

MadRocker (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))I've been a prepper since before Y2K, even the boy scouts motto is be prepared. Their is a fine line between vigilance and stupidity that some like to walk on though, but common sense is a major factor. All kinds of groups and government agencies have had plans ranging from 3 days to 3 months on things you should always have in stock in case of earthquakes and hurricanes. I think the church of latter day saints even had a 1 year list. I've always been the 3 month minimum prepper as far as food and water goes. The extras like ammo and comms are really based on hobbies, though handy in a SHTF situation like a zombie apocalypse. They've always been something I enjoyed to do, so its not uncommon for me to have on hand. The arrogance of "it can't happen to us" is what has led up to a lot of the panic buying we see today. A little preparation before this pandemic would have made a lot of difference in the craziness we see today.

Thanks for the explanation, seen in this way it seems logical to me. You're right, an earthquake or a hurricane could cause a lot of damage. Now I see better the need to have 3 months of stock to survive. On my side I am less aware of it, because here in Quebec (Canada) these problems there are that rarely happen as dramatically as certain parts with hot temperature of the USA, on the other hand in Canada ours summer is of short duration and the winter with these -20F. I have several friends from various regions of the USA and sometimes they have to leave their city temporarily and put wooden planks to protect their windows from a tornado or hurricane. I have my cousin who lived in San José and San Diego in the USA and she lost her house after an earthquake, now she lives in Oregon.
:drinks: :dontknow:

WilBury

Postby WilBury » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:08 pm

I don't know, Micsas… I used to live in Montreal when I was a bad, bad boy and -30F was not uncommon. In the Rockies we would still go to work outdoors at -40 (Fahrenheit AND Celsius) and better hope you dried out your boots the night before. I wouldn't want the furnace to quit at those temps. Nice to have a woodstove!
"I've forgotten more than I'll ever know..." - WilBury

micsas56

Postby micsas56 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:43 pm

WilBury (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))I don't know, Micsas… I used to live in Montreal when I was a bad, bad boy and -30F was not uncommon. In the Rockies we would still go to work outdoors at -40 (Fahrenheit AND Celsius) and better hope you dried out your boots the night before. I wouldn't want the furnace to quit at those temps. Nice to have a woodstove!

You right, sometime in Montreal we have -30F. And -53F in Yellowknife (Territory North-West).

WilBury

Postby WilBury » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Funny you should mention it... I also lived in Yellowknife when the ears of the snowshoe hare I had over my shoulder were dragging on the ground!
"I've forgotten more than I'll ever know..." - WilBury

micsas56

Postby micsas56 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:41 am

WilBury (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))Funny you should mention it... I also lived in Yellowknife when the ears of the snowshoe hare I had over my shoulder were dragging on the ground!

Now we talk. Did you make the ice road by truck. I have a friend (Roland Boisvert) who lives there and he's on the ice road and Yellowknife is a small city (population 19,569), maybe you met him.
:whistle2:

Return to “General Discussion”