Kramer needs some help

General Discussion area for any topic
Kramer

Kramer needs some help

Postby Kramer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:16 am

Every so often, my ping gets horrible. I looked at some servers in Black Ops 1 and I have a 21 ping. Other servers that I normally have a 60 ping on, I have an 800+ ping. Here is what I have checked:

- Internet provider says everything is perfect on their end
- Router rebooted
- Modem rebooted
- No one else in the house using internet
- Speed test on speedtest.net shows 20 latency
- Other speed tests show 800 latency
- I have changed my TCP/IPv4 settings from automatic to manual and looked for good connections. Sometimes this seems to fix it and other times is does nothing.
- The problem will usually last for 2 or 3 days and then go away for a month
- Any suggestions on what could be causing this issue?

Thank you for the help

Kramer

Kramer

Re: Kramer needs some help

Postby Kramer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 am

I have run DNS Benchmark on the servers that I connect to manually 8.8.8.8 and everything comes back great. Ping is for crap though.

My ping on speedtest.net is 21. My ping in TS right now is 350. It seems like I have a 20 ping on Black Ops servers in Chicago, but 800 to servers on the East Coast.

micsas56

Postby micsas56 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Sorry, today I dont feel very well, I am sick in the bed, I am ZaZa and can't concentrate..
The problem look is coming from a bad mutliplexer (node) somewhere between you and the server (can be other network part also).
The internet route is not the same for each servers you try to connect (example = state to an other state or city to an other city).
This multiplexer (node) can be defect when using high bandwidth and look good when use low bandwidth, normally they will change this multiplexer (node) when they find the problem, can take many days to find it.

A)
Test your Ping between these equipments or servers:
Windows 10: Right-click the Start menu, and click Command Prompt from the resulting menu
Windows 8: Press the Windows key ⊞ on your Keyboard to open your Windows 8 Menu
Windows 7: Open your Start menu, and then click the Search Program and Files entry field

PING 192.168.0.1 or DNS or http://www.dirtyreapers.org (IP address or link).
Test your router IP, or website link, or internet provider IP, server IP, DNS.
INFO: https://www.howtogeek.com/355664/how-to ... r-network/

You can use cmd PING, TRACERT, ROUTE.
PING: Test the network connection with a remote IP address. PING [-t] [-a] [-n number of shipments] [-l packet size] [-f] [-i life time] [-r number of skips saved]

TRACERT: Displays all intermediate IP addresses through which a packet passes between the local machine and the specified IP address. TRACERT [@IP or host name] or TRACERT -d [@IP or host name].

ROUTE: Displays or modifies the routing table. ROUTE [-f] [command [destination] [MASK net mask] [gateway]

NOTES:
========
Ping 127.0.0.1: This is a "loop ping". In other words, your computer is trying to communicate with itself. This command tests whether your computer is capable of handling Ethernet traffic. If the result is negative, there is a problem with the operating system of the computer.

Ping 192.168.1.1: If the "Exceeded request timeout" result is displayed, enter 192.168.0.1. If the request also exceeds the time limit, the computer does not establish a connection with your router.

Ping http://www.netgear.com: Checks if your computer can contact other computers connected to the Internet.

B)
I find some info in my old Library, try to change/test your IP and reset your DNS.

For Win10 (DOS command) ==> click "Start / System Windows / Command Prompt"
At this line ==> C:\Users\(name of your User)>
Add one of these commands below to see or change your IP or DNS.
First, try these command mark with a *
Second, try this command mark with a "

*IPCONFIG /all = Display full configuration information.
"IPCONFIG /release [adapter] = Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
"IPCONFIG /renew [adapter] = Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
*IPCONFIG /flushdns = Purge the DNS Resolver cache. ##
IPCONFIG /registerdns = Refresh all DHCP leases and re-register DNS names. ##
IPCONFIG /displaydns = display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache. ##
IPCONFIG /showclassid adapter = Display all the DHCP class IDs allowed for adapter. ##
IPCONFIG /setclassid adapter [classid] = Modify the dhcp class id. ##

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES:
=========
ipconfig /all
-----------------
This option displays the same IP addressing information for each adapter as the default option. Additionally, it displays DNS and WINS settings for each adapter.

ipconfig /release
----------------------
This option terminates any active TCP/IP connections on all network adapters and releases those IP addresses for use by other applications. 'ipconfig /release" can be used with specific Windows connection names. In this case, the command will affect only the specified connections and not all. The command accepts either full connection names or wildcard names.
Examples:
ipconfig /release "Local Area Connection 1"
ipconfig /release *Local*
ipconfig /renew
*This option re-establishes TCP/IP connections on all network adapters. As with the release option, ipconfig /renew takes an optional connection name specifier.
Both /renew and /release options only work on clients configured for dynamic (DHCP) addressing.

ipconfig /showclassid, ipconfig /setclassid
-------------------------------------------------------
These options manage DHCP class identifiers. DHCP classes can be defined by administrators on a DHCP server to apply different network settings to different types of clients. This is an advanced feature of DHCP typically used in business networks, not home networks.

ipconfig /displaydns -or- ipconfig /flushdns
----------------------------------------------------------
These options access a local DNS cache that Windows maintains. The /displaydns option prints the contents of the cache, and the /flushdns option erases the contents.
This DNS cache contains a list of remote server names and the IP addresses (if any) they correspond to. Entries in this cache come from DNS lookups that happen when attempting to visit Web sites, named FTP servers, and other remote hosts. Windows uses this cache to improve the performance of Internet Explorer and other Web-based applications.
In home networking, these DNS options are sometimes useful for advanced troubleshooting. If the information in your DNS cache becomes corrupted or outdated, you could face difficulty accessing certain sites on the Internet. Consider these two scenarios:
•The IP address of a Web site, email server or other server changes (rare occurence). The name and address of this site normally stay in your cache for 24 hours after your last visit. You may need to clear your cache to access the server sooner.
•A Web site or other server was offline when you last visited it (hopefully a rare occurence) but since has come back online. The cache will normally keep a record that the server is offline for 5 minutes afer your last visit. You may need to clear your cache to access the server sooner.

ipconfig /registerdns
-----------------------------
Similar to the above options, this option updates DNS settings on the Windows computer. Instead of merely accessing the local DNS cache, however, this option initiates communication with both the DNS server (and the DHCP server) to re-register with them.
This option is useful in troubleshooting problems involving connection with the Internet service provider, such as failure to obtain a dynamic IP address or failure to connect to the ISP DNS server.
Like the /release and /renew options, /registerdns optionally takes the name(s) of specific adapters to update. If no name parameter is specified, /registerdns updates all adapters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if that help you, I will come to check 1 or 2 time by day.
"ON THE PATH OF RIGHTEOUSNESS..." "LIFE" WILL BE TAKEN
Games = BF1, BF4, COD-BO2, COD-BO, COD-WaW, COD4

WilBury

Postby WilBury » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Micsa, is the command "pathping" also helpful?
"I've forgotten more than I'll ever know..." - WilBury

micsas56

Postby micsas56 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:08 am

WilBury (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))Micsa, is the command "pathping" also helpful?

"pathping" command performs the equivalent of the "tracert" command by identifying which routers are on the path.
:taunt:

Kramer

Postby Kramer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:23 am

Wow, thank you both so much for the information. Everything is back to normal today, but going to check everything out that you sent. Very good info.

micsas56

Postby micsas56 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:24 am

Well happy that it is settled now. Yes these tools are good to keep to diagnose. I was lucky to have found some old info, but I had to do some research to complete this info, because I missed several info that I destroyed in the past.
:good:

Gr0uNDh0g

Postby Gr0uNDh0g » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Kramer (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))
- Router rebooted
- Modem rebooted

How exactly did you reboot your router/modem? Best is to physically unplug (power) the device, wait for at least 30 seconds and plug the power back in. This way the device can reset itself without 'remembering' any existing faults. No worries, this does not set it back to factory default. It's always the first thing I try if I have internet connectivity issues.

BTW do the same with any and all access points or switches elsewhere in your network.

:howdy:
Punxsutawney Phil is coming for you! :pewpew:
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Return to “General Discussion”