I've Got the Fever!

General Discussion area for any topic
WilBury

I've Got the Fever!

Postby WilBury » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Almost ready to pull the trigger on this new system. :unsure:
Haven't run an AMD proc since the K6-2 when I ran into it's bug on Half-Life! :shok:

MSI MEG X570 UNIFY AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16813144273

AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8 GHz (4.6 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W 100-100000023BOX Desktop Processor
https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-9-3900x ... 6819113103

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-16GTZN
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288- ... -_-Product

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500 GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S1T0B/AM
https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-970-evo-p ... 6820147742

Gonna slide it all back into the old Coolermaster Cosmos S :ok: along with the same 11 year old PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad PSU :beg: & my modest Sapphire Nitro R9 380 card.
Got to re-pin unused graphics power for the second EPS-12V 8 pin (takes 2!). This board supposedly has decent VRMs so will try the stock CPU cooler. Hehe, I can run that cpu at stock speeds & still be quite pleased. :dsunny:
That case is filthy dirty, too. 11 fans & a water pump & no way I’m cleaning all those! :fie: I’ll be down a freakin’ week or 2 at least before I’m semi-satisfied. :kez2:

Not sure waiting for Black Friday will help much... :nosepick:
"I've forgotten more than I'll ever know..." - WilBury

MadRocker

Re: I've Got the Fever!

Postby MadRocker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Nice, as an AMD fanboy I approve. The MSI boards have been good to me, and the BIOS are easily updated which you should do to get full potential of that beast of a processor. The BIOS interface is quite pleasant once you get used to it, it'll be a matter of finding the right profile for your memory to get it run at stated clock speeds. For OCing the processor you can use MSI command center to choose your clock speeds (mine is set for 4.2 but it will drop below if idle). I don't use the stock wraith cooler since I was able to use my 240 watercooler from an A10-7850(?) AM4 socket APU. Temps hardly ever get near 70c, but I use custom cooling curves in the BIOS (pump 100%/fan 25%@30c-fan 100%@80c). Any questions feel free to pick my brain and Ill be glad to try to help.

This is a subliminal message telling you to Upgrade GPU
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

WilBury

Postby WilBury » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:49 pm

Thx for the input! :drinks:
Glad to hear MSI is OK. :rock_on: Before I pull that trigger, is 3600Mhz 16.16.16.36 fast enough memory for 1:1 overclocking? I don't quite understand the ins & outs of Infinity Fabric yet. 70c temps! :scared: I don't let my old OC'd Quad 9650 go over 55c! Ya think I need water even though I'm not overclocking yet?
About that new board, only thing I'm not crazy about is, only 4 SATA ports. I'll be giving away perfectly good HDD's!

WilBury

Postby WilBury » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:35 am

OK, much Googling & tubing (https://youtu.be/9IY_KlkQK1Q later, looks like 3600MhZ @ 16 16 16 36 shall do, but now I'm getting greedy. I want 4 x 8GB. :bossman:
Vacillating between 2 sets each of either the cheaper
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-16GVK
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232195
or the similarly priced GSkill Royals (on sale now!) or Neos at the same timings.
All are on the Unify's QVL list for 4 sticks but ffs the Ripjaws will be $100 CAD cheaper! Now does it have the Samsung B dies or not... :unsure: That, I think, would be the clincher.
Pricing new 4 pin fans, looks like I'll cleaning most of those old ones after all! :laughinghard:
This should cover every old HDD I own for the SATA ports, maybe even in RAID.
Ubit Expansion Card, PCIe 2.0 X1 to SATA III 4 Ports
https://www.amazon.ca/Expansion-Ubit-Adapter-Chipset-SATA3-0/dp/B07QGRVGVM?th=1#

Trigger finger's getting tired... :blackeye:

micsas56

Postby micsas56 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:06 am

Before I was a AMD fan, but dont know too much about new AMD stuff. But I can tell you the G.SKILL Ripjaws V run very well and fast and 100% compatible and you cannot see the difference with higher stuff. Good choice. Myself I buy my stuff at Newegg.
"ON THE PATH OF RIGHTEOUSNESS..." "LIFE" WILL BE TAKEN
Games = BF1, BF4, COD-BO2, COD-BO, COD-WaW, COD4

Gr0uNDh0g

Postby Gr0uNDh0g » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:18 pm

AMD fanboy here too! Nice setup, man!! :nx: My rig also rocks an M.2 SSD btw. Love it :gamer:
Punxsutawney Phil is coming for you! :pewpew:
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

MadRocker

Postby MadRocker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:25 pm

With my board (MSI 470 Gaming) I went with the G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) since it had the low timing memory and it was the fastest I could use with the board though in theory I could OC it more. I just went with one of the 2 the given XMP profiles that matched what I wanted.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288 ... -_-Product

I really cant say if that bit of memory timing matters TBH and my build was kind of a started as a budget build since I already had a watercooler with an AM4 bracket on it, and a Corsair 1200 watt PSU. If you have no plan on playing with CPU speeds the stock cooler will be fine. My speed runs at 4.25ghz steady so it makes it worth using the water cooler.
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

micsas56

Postby micsas56 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:52 pm

MadRocker (!empty($user->lang['WROTE'])) ? $user->lang['WROTE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'WROTE')))(!empty($user->lang['COLON'])) ? $user->lang['COLON'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'COLON')))With my board (MSI 470 Gaming) I went with the G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) since it had the low timing memory and it was the fastest I could use with the board though in theory I could OC it more. I just went with one of the 2 the given XMP profiles that matched what I wanted.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288 ... -_-Product
I really cant say if that bit of memory timing matters TBH and my build was kind of a started as a budget build since I already had a watercooler with an AM4 bracket on it, and a Corsair 1200 watt PSU. If you have no plan on playing with CPU speeds the stock cooler will be fine. My speed runs at 4.25ghz steady so it makes it worth using the water cooler.

I agree with you, the water cooler keeps the temperature stable. Even OC my CPU from 4.0ghz to 4.7ghz and the temperature remains the same (I have an old intel i7-4690K gen.4).
:rock_on:
"ON THE PATH OF RIGHTEOUSNESS..." "LIFE" WILL BE TAKEN
Games = BF1, BF4, COD-BO2, COD-BO, COD-WaW, COD4

WilBury

Postby WilBury » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Was wondering when you’d chime in GHog. :wave:
LOL, always a treat when someone with Marathon Pro & an M.2 has already capped my flag before my first spawn! :shock:
It is said that interleaving 4 sticks of memory for the dual rank effect can improve performance. That, & the fact that 32GB is oodles (some of which can be used as disk cache) is why I’d like 2 kits of 2.
Those Ripjaw V’s have been around for a while too, don’t want buy one kit & then find out they’re no longer available for another kit.
My Cosmos S case is humungous but only 145 mm (5.7”) of headroom for the CPU cooler due to the side fan.. That rules out the big tower coolers. It’s the stock cooler for now, but I’ll bet within a year I’ll have a 360 rad & pump on it. If I wait long enough, I’ll get both Intel’s & AMD’s new socket adapters too. :beach:
Question I have currently, is:
I get it that one wants uclk=mclk=fclk for 1:1:1 ratio with memory. That peaks somewhere around 1733MHz before Infinity Fabric uncouples & goes to 2:1.
Fine, but what about bclk and multiplier. Is it totally independent? The 3900x base speed is 3.8. Will I have to underclock the CPU, or can it just float around independently without regard to the 1:1 doctrine? In other words, must the CPU be clocked at multiples of the memory speed to keep it all at 1:1 in the AMD architecture just like Intel? 1733 x 2 = 3466 That would be one hell of an underclock on that CPU. :unsure:

MadRocker

Postby MadRocker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:10 am

Your base clock will be 3.8ghz, but that 12 core beast has a 4.6 ghz boost. The XMP profile loaded into the BIOS will set your Memory timings independently. It took a BIOS update after the R5 2700X release for it to run DDR4 3200, till then it was locked at DDR4 2933. You just have to remember to check all settings after any BIOS updates since its put's everything back to default settings. The GUI interface is also much nicer to navigate and set than the old DOS looking BIOS.

Return to “General Discussion”